FIFA World Cup is held every 4 years and unleashes a huge rush of adrenalin throughout its fans in every corner of the Earth. Scotland and England happened to be the inaugurating countries for the world's first international football match. It was held in Glasgow in 1872. With this tiny introduction, here are the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts you were waiting for. But before that, here are some general facts about the FIFA World Cup...
Interesting Facts About the World Cup
The first world cup took place in the year 1930 and is held every four years. However, due to World War II, the event was not held between 1942 and 1946.
Frenchman Lucien Laurent created history by scoring the first goal in the very first World Cup match held in Uruguay in 1930. However, one of the funny world cup facts here is that Lucien was adjudged to be the first scorer, only after the settlement of a dispute which vouched for American Bart McGee to be the first one. Read more on interesting facts about soccer.
What cannot be missed about the fun facts about FIFA World Cup is about the honor to receive the first red card. It was Chile’s Carlos Caszely in the year 1974.
FIFA World Cup fun facts would also remain incomplete without the mention about the youngest player to play in World Cup match. Only 17 years and 41 days old was the age of this little football player named Norman Whiteside. Here's more on history of soccer.
This one may not be one among the fun facts about the FIFA World Cup and may be too. The reason? Hungary is known to have a score of 27 goals in the World Cup of 1954. However, it lost to West Germany 3 – 2. Funny or unfortunate?
Roger Milla, from Cameroon is known to be oldest player to participate in a World Cup Match. This man was responsible to lead his country in the World Cup of Italy 1990. Know more on the history and timeline of soccer.
FIFA World Cup 2010 Fun Facts
Time for some more facts and figures to throw at you from the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts. Some facts may not sound funny or be funny, but they sure are informative. So grab whatever you can...
Starting off with the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts, the country bringing home the World Cup for the most number of times is none other than Brazil.
The announcement regarding South Africa to host the FIFA World Cup 2010, was made On 15 May 2004 by FIFA President Sepp Blatter. Know more on FIFA World Cup 2010 Standings: Day 1.
One of the most interesting FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts is about the cut throat competition to make it to one of the 31 places. The number of teams which participated was a whopping number of 200 in total. As South Africa is the host, it automatically qualified for the FIFA World Cup. Read more on FIFA World Cup 2010 Standings: Day 2 and 3.
Here is another one among the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts you might like to know. It related to the cities of Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Nelspruit, Polokwane, Bloemfontein, Rustenburg, and Pretoria. These are the places which have been selected as venues for staging the World Cup matches. To add to these, there are 10 stadiums which have been organized in these places. Here's more on FIFA World Cup 2010 Standings: Day 4.
Did you know by what name the South African National Team is known? It is 'Bafana Bafana'. In isiZulu, it means 'the boys, the boys'. Know more on FIFA World Cup 2010 Standings: Day 5.
Some of you must be delighted to read this one in this piece of the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts, which confirms that the Vuvuzela will be blown in all the stadiums and fan parks.
To conclude this section on the FIFA World Cup 2010 fun facts, in case you were unaware, the world cup will be played between 11 June and 11 July 2010. And yes, as a closing note, the number of viewers which was estimated to have watched the 2006 final in Germany, was an unbelievable 715.1 million!
- FIFA World Cup started in 1930 under the stewardship ofInternational Federation of Association Football also called "Fédération Internationale de Football Association" which is the governing body. The headquarter is in Zurich, Switzerland.
- All in all, FIFA acknowledges 208 national associations (plus their associated men's national teams) and 129 women's national teams and yes women have their own tournament as well.
- The first international football game or match was between Scotland and England,
- The game football was played mostly in England before it became officially played
|2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (PlayStation 3)|
Amazon Price: $18.98
List Price: $29.99
|PUMA Africa Soccer T-Shirt (Black)|
Amazon Price: $0.00
|adidas Men's South Africa Tee|
Amazon Price: $30.00
|adidas 2010 FIFA World Cup Black Event Adjustable Hat|
Amazon Price: $18.00
|Soccer T Shirt One World One Game T Shirt|
|South Africa Bafana Bafana 2010 Soccer T-shirt|
|South Africa Twenty-Ten 2010 World Cup Soccer Dijon T-shirt|
|South Africa & Soccer Ball 2010 T-shirt by ULTRAS|
Interesting Facts About FIFA World Cup :: FIFA 2010 World Cup
Interesting Facts About FIFA World Cup :: FIFA 2010 World Cup
South Africa is the official host of FIFA World Cup 2010.
- The defending champion is Italy (2006 World Cup Champion)
- The first FIFA World Cup was hosted by Uruguay in 1930.
- There is what we call The Rankings in FIFA -- World Rankings in which the top three are Brazil ,Spain and Portugal in that order, as of May 2010. This is updated monthly and rank each team based on their performance in terms of international competitions, qualifiers, and friendly matches. In women's football there is also world rankings which is said to be " updated four times a year".
- These are the sponsors of FIFA: Coca Cola, Emirates, Hyundai - Kia Motors, Sony, Visa and Adidas
- Like any other sports or competition there are controversies like financial irregularities. Some controversies are allegations of financial irregularities,-- "international cash-for-contracts scandal following the collapse of FIFA's marketing partner ISL, and revealed how some football officials have been urged to secretly repay the sweeteners amd vote rigging for the retention of Sepp Blatter's as the head of the organization.
- There is also rigid discipline of national associations, and they are well implemented. FIFA is very active in the overall implementation of the sports competition around the world. One of the rule related to discipline is to"suspend teams and associated members from international competition when a government interferes in the running of FIFA's associate member organisations or if the associate is not functioning properly". A case in point is the "Iraq national team was suspended in May 2008, due to government interference with independent national sports authorities but later on they were reinstated". There is another ruling that states that a "a player can be registered with a maximum of three clubs, and appear in official matches for a maximum of two, in a year measured from July 1 to June 30 has led to controversy,"
- There are eight structured tournaments under Men's Tournaments and for women there are four.
Interesting Facts About FIFA World Cup :: FIFA 2010 World Cup -- FIFA World Cup Winners by Country
1934, 1938, 1982, 2006 (4)
1954, 1974, 1990 (3)
1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002 (5)
1978, 1986 (2)
ITALY is the defending Champion